No-Bake Gluten-Free Cranberry Pie
Baking a traditional pie like pumpkin, pecan or apple is quite the task and is loaded with fat and sugar. This is a simpler version of pie that will make you feel accomplished and lighter after dessert.
1 ½ cups pecans (or walnuts)
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ cup medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
¼ cup finely shredded coconut, unsweetened
12-ounce bag fresh or frozen cranberries
¼ teaspoon ground allspice
¼ cup raw, local honey
2 cups frozen vanilla Greek yogurt
1. Remove frozen yogurt from the freezer to soften.
2. In a food processor fitted with an “s” blade, pulse nuts, cinnamon and dates until consistency of sticky rice.
3. Line bottom of a glass 9” pie dish with shredded coconut then top with mixture from food processor. Press to form into a crust.
4. In a medium saucepan, bring cranberries, allspice and ½ cup water to a low boil, turn down the heat and simmer, stirring frequently for 5-10 minutes or until cranberries burst. Use a potato masher to crush any remaining cranberries and remove from heat. Let cool slightly then add honey.
5. Fold softened frozen yogurt into cooled cranberry mixture. Spread into prepared crust and freeze for 2 hours or until firm.
6. When ready to serve, fill a small pitcher with warm water and dip knife in to make cutting easier.
Time-Saver Tool Tips
-The best tool when making a pie crust is your hands!
-A large rubber scrapper is the best tool to fold cranberry mixture into frozen yogurt.
-Unsweetened shredded coconut can be hard to find. I recommend Let's Do...Organic 100% organic shredded coconut (unsweetened) - found here
-Fresh cranberries can be hard to find outside of the fall and winter months. Buy a few bags when they're in season and freeze them for fresh cranberries all year.